To begin registration please click on the link below:
Information about joining the registry:
Who is eligible to register as a Patient?
Any Maryland resident whose physician recommends medical cannabis as a treatment option for a qualifying medical condition is eligible to register with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission (MMCC) as a patient. Qualifying medical conditions include cachexia, anorexia, wasting syndrome, severe pain, severe nausea, seizures, severe or persistent muscle spasms, glaucoma, post-traumatic stress disorder and chronic pain.
Any non-Maryland resident currently in Maryland for the purpose of receiving medical treatment is eligible to register as patient with the MMCC and, during registration, will be required to provide the name and address of the Maryland medical facility where the patient is receiving treatment.
A registered patient is permitted to identify a maximum of two individuals, aged 21 years or older, to serve as caregivers. Caregivers are required to register with and purchase ID cards from the Commission. Registered caregivers in possession of a valid MMCC Caregiver ID card are able to purchase medical cannabis on behalf of their designated patients from licensed Maryland dispensaries and transport the legally obtained medical cannabis to their designated patients. Detailed information regarding caregiver requirements and the caregiver registration process is available on the Caregivers page.
Please note: Minor patients (under the age of 18) are required to have at least one caregiver at all times. Only parents and legal guardians of minor patients are eligible to serve as their caregivers.
- How can I register as a Patient?
While the registration processes and requirements differ for adult and minor patients, both are completed online. The online application form must be completed and submitted in one session; you will not be able to save and complete the application at a later time.
It is essential that you have the required information and documents in an electronic format ready for upload before starting the application process. Please carefully review the requirements below and the appropriate guidance documents to ensure you are prepared to complete the entire application before beginning the process.
- Patient Registration Instructions
Please note: You must complete and submit your entire online application in one session. You will not be able to save and complete the application at a later time.
Before You Begin
- The following items are required to be uploaded to complete the online application:
- An electronic copy of a valid US federal or state government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, identification card, military ID or passport. This must be either a PDF or image (.jpg, .png or .gif) file not to exceed 3 MB in size.
- An electronic copy of a clear photograph taken within six months of application. Please see detailed photo requirements below.
- You must have a valid, accessible email address. MMCC will use this to communicate with you.
- If the patient is a minor (under 18 years of age), you will also need the following:
- An electronic, notarized copy of the Minor Patient Form
- An electronic copy of official proof of guardianship for the minor patient, including birth certificate, adoption papers or a court order awarding guardianship
- The MMCC Caregiver ID Number for the caregiver to be identified during the registration process. This means that the caregiver must register and receive MMCC approval prior to registering a minor patient.
- If the patient is in hospice care, the patient may elect to submit a letter from the attending hospice provider in lieu of a recent photo. The letter must be from the Attending of Hospice Record (“AOHR”) provider on hospice letterhead stating that the patient is a hospice patient under his or her care. It can be uploaded in either .jpg or .pdf format.
Completing the Registration Process
- Once you have completed and submitted an online application form, a verification email will be sent to the email address you provided on your application. You must click the verification link in the email message to verify your email account. Without performing this step, your application is not complete. Completed applications will be reviewed by MMCC and you will receive a follow up email advising whether or not your application has been approved.
- Please retain the approval email for your records. It contains your Username, which you will need to log in to the Patient Registry, as well as your MMCC Patient ID Number, which your provider will need in order to issue your written certification for medical cannabis.
The processing of your application will be delayed if you do not submit a photo that meets the requirements below. In general, your photo must look like a passport or driver’s license photo. Specifically, it must adhere to the following requirements:
- Must be in color
- Must be an image file (.jpg, .png or .gif) no larger than 3 MB in size
- Sized to 2 x 2 inches with dimensions in a square aspect ratio; minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels, maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels
- Scanned at a resolution of 300 pixels per inch
- Taken within the last six months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera with nothing obscuring the face, such as a hat or sunglasses
- Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open
- Photo may not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way
Our Maryland Locations
4606 Wedgewood Blvd, Frederick, MD 21703
Mon-Sat: 10a-8p, Sun: 10a-5p
808 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD 20850
Mon-Sat: 10a-8p, Sun: 10a-5p